Content marketing is the strategic approach to creating valuable and relevant materials that are shared consistently through the right channels to attract, encourage engagement, and retain clients to grow a profitable business.
Content marketing is essential to the success of your digital marketing strategy, and here's why.
- Content marketing generates 3 times as many leads as traditional marketing.
- 76% of Buyers are most willing to exchange their information for white papers (76% were willing), eBooks (63%), webinars (79%), case studies (57%) and third-party/analyst reports (66%).
- Companies that blog have 434% more indexed pages than businesses without blogs.
- While it takes less time to get a paid campaign rolling, content marketing strategies generate over 4x more leads per $1000 within 36 months.
- 74% of companies find that lead quality and quantity went up as they introduced a content marketing strategy.
- Each person sees up to 5,000 ads per day.
What type of content should you create?
First you need to know your target audience including what topics are of interest to them, and what channels they are using. You then need to create great content that is inspiring, relevant, and timely. You want to promote your business with your content, but most of all you want to be a resource for your audience.
Content Mix = 75% a resource for your visitors [clients] + 25% promotion of your business
61%: of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands via email. However, their stated preference is [for marketing emails] that they are less about promotions and more about providing information.
POPULAR TYPES OF CONTENT
Most popular types of content for B2C (Business-to-Consumer)
- Social media posts
- Interactive content (quizzes, etc.)
Most popular types of content for B2B (Business-to-Business)
- Social media posts
- Case studies
- E-books/White papers
Why are videos so popular?
- 86% of YouTube users watch videos to learn something new.
- More than 70 percent of YouTube users watch videos to “solve a problem” with their studies, job, or hobbies.
- How-To videos are the most popular video category on YouTube.
How will you share your content?
Knowing what channels you will be using to share your content is important in determining what type of content to create. When developing your content marketing strategy, you need to make a plan for the topics, frequency of sharing, and what channels they will be shared on. You need to consider what resources you have available (time & money), brand guidelines, and budget (paid vs organic). Each channel has best practices when it comes to what types of content performs best, requirements, and even restrictions (e.g. Facebook limits amount of text on an ad image). Remember that digital marketing is always changing and it is important to keep up-to-date with what is trending with your audience and any development updates with the various digital platforms.
Content marketing success tips and key takeaways